If you’re proud owners of Chromecast, an amazing streaming-TV dongle by Google using which you can enjoy online video and music on your TV. But now one question coming in your mind i.e. Is it possible to root and Secure Boot Exploit Google Chromecast? If this is your doubt, then put it at rest because the Chromecast has been rooted and thus become possible due to GTV Hacker.
Update: Latest Google Chromecast OTA Blocks Root Method, follow below guide on your own risk.
And if you’re the one looking for a way root your Google Chromecast, then keep reading this article because in this article we’re going to share with you a simple guide to make that thing possible. But before you start reading this guide, let us know more about Google Chromecast.
What is Chromecast
Chromecast is amazing streaming-TV dongle by Google using which you can enjoy online video and music on your TV. Simply plug it into any HDTV and control it with your existing Smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
It’s just 2 inch size and runs a basic version of Chrome as explained by official but GTV Hacker say that’s not a reality. After exploring a software they found is very Android or Google TV than it is to Chrome. Also there is no way to run any on this system.
Features of Chromecast
- Once it’s connected you can cast videos from YouTube and other similar sites likes Vimeo, Google Play, Netflix, Google Play, and other online sources.
- Using this you can stream music from the popular music services like Pandora and Google Play Music.
- Allow you to browse the web straight from your TV set
- You can cast your TV from Mac, Windows, Chrome OS device. It also works fine with iOS and Android tablet & Smartphone.
- Adjut TV directly from your Smartphone and tablet like turning on the TV, sending video to it and adjusting the volume.
So this is all about Chromecast, let us come to the guide about which this whole article is based
Disclaimer: If you are unrooting your Google Chromecast using this guide then you are responsible for anything you do to your device. We cant be held accountable for bricked devices or roots gone wrong, but If you follow this guide properly you will be on the safe side
How to do Chromecast Secure Bootloader Exploit
- Blank USB Flash drive (at least 128MB) –Your drive will be erased–
- Our USB Image
- Google Chromecast
- Powered Micro USB OTG Cable
- If not a Powered Micro USB OTG Cable, then find a way to rig up a cable that does just this. We will not provide instructions, it’s simple, but still. Just buy the cable.
Pre Setup: 1. First of all download .zip file (provided by GTVHacker.com) and extract the “gtvhacker–chromecast.bin” file. 2. After that you need to install USB image in your USB flash drive with dd:
Syntax: dd if=gtvhacker-chromecast.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=1024
How to Root Google Chromecast
1. First thing you need to do is plug the flash drive into one female “A” enf of the USB OTG cable.
2. And plug the other end on the Goggle Chromecast.
3. After that you need to hold down the button on the Chromecast while plugging in the power cord.
Note: Follow the below process carefully
4. Now watch the screen and any light which is blinking on your flash drive. The Chromecast will powerup, here you need to execute unsigned kernal. And then kick off to a script that replaces/ system with a rooted one.
5. It will wipe your data and reboot back to the normal system. This process need a minute, also make sure not to unplug anything while installation taking place.
6. Once your process is done, your box will reboot and a new splash screen, and then the Setup screen. Just re-set up your Chromecast, and you can telnet to get a root shell on your Chromecast on port 23
So this is how you can complete this whole process. If you want to know and learn more about, head over to GTV Hacker Wiki and also read their coverage of the exploit. If you facing an difficulty in following above guide you can join Google Chromecast forum created by XDA team.