The official launch of Apple’s iPhone X, along with the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, has happened and come November 3, it is going to become the single most coveted device among all Apple fanatics as well as other smartphone users around the world.
No matter how many Android phones are introduced and new revolutionary technologies launched, there is no denying that it is only when Apple adopts these new features that a kind of legitimacy is given to such technologies.
A technology adopted by Apple, especially in its iPhones, means that it is here to stay. The entire ecosystem falls in place and companies get the required impetus to move forward with their research and development because they are now assured of the brand support. So here goes, a list of all the new features and improvements that will be available in the iPhone X.
- Stainless steel frame: An Apple-designed stainless-steel band covers the edges of the iPhone X.
- Glass front and back: The iPhone X has an all-glass covering at the front and the back, with a seven-layer ink process that enables precise hues and opacity. The glass has a strengthening layer that is 50% deeper, and has reflective optical capabilities to offer enhanced color, as well as an oleophobic coating to avoid smudges and fingerprints.
- Thin bezels, side button, additional features: The home button is gone and the screen is much bigger because there are much thinner bezels. The lock button is called the side button now, and there is a new accelerometer and a gyroscope as well.
Super Retina HD Display
- 8 inch OLED display: The biggest display for an iPhone ever and the first one in the range to feature an OLED screen- that means better color accuracy, high contrast ratio and true blacks.
- True tone, HDR: The iPhone X has the ability to adjust the color and intensity of the display to the color temperature of the light in its surrounding. If you are standing outside and the weather is cloudy, the screen will have a cool-blue look while a dimly lit room would give a warmer, yellow-ish appearance. It also has high dynamic range display, which means you can watch movies in Dolby Vision and HDR 10.
- 2436×1125 pixels, 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, tap to wake feature.
- 12-megapixel sensors, vertically aligned dual lenses, augmented reality
- 4k video recording at 60 fps, 1080p slow motion video recording at 240 fps
- Dual optical image stabilization, better low-light zoom, enhanced portrait mode
- Quad-LED true Tone flash with slow sync: For better low light photos, one requires a clear image of the subject and a properly exposed background. For this, the slow sync feature combines the slow shutter speed with a short strobe pulse, giving you properly lit snaps. Hot spots are also reduced since the flash’s illumination is doubly uniform.
- Better image signal processor: The iPhone X’s new image signal processor can optimize photos beforehand by detecting the elements in the scene i.e. people, motion, lighting etc. Advanced pixel processing, faster autofocus, and wide color capture are some other features offered.
- TrueDepth: The front camera includes a 7 MP camera with IR capability, flood illuminator, proximity and ambient light sensor, microphone and dot projector.
- FaceID: Touch ID has been replaced with Face ID. Just look at the device, swipe up the screen and authenticate yourself for Apple Pay. Worried about identity theft? There is a very slim chance of that happening as Apple has assured that there is only a one in a million chance that the system could be duped by a stranger.
- Portrait Mode selfies
- Animoji: Taking advantage of the True Depth camera system, the iPhone X allows ‘animoji’ expressions in the iPhone X. The animoji are Apple’s new series of emoji-style characters.
- Wireless charging: In a much-awaited innovation, the iPhone X will support wireless charging based on the Qi standard. The phone will be placed on an inductive charging pad, such as Apple’s to be launched AirPower mat, or from accessory manufacturers like Mophie, Belkin, and Incipo.
- Quicker charging: The iPhone X can be charged to 50% in 30 minutes flat by using Apple’s 29W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapters, which are sold separately.
- Longer battery life: Two hours more than the iPhone 7.
- A11 Bionic processor: The super-powerful A11 bionic processor has two performance cores and four high-efficiency cores that are 25% and 70% faster than the A10 chip used in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus.
- Neural Engine: A dual-core design in the A11 Bionic chip, the neural engine recognizes people, places, and objects (powering the FaceID and animoji features) and processes machine learning tasks at up to 600 billion operations per second.
- Faster Apple-designed GPU: According to Apple, its three-core graphics processor in the A11 Bionic will be nearly 30% faster than the A10 chip.
Wireless and location
- NFC with reader mode: Core NFC feature to detect Near Field Communication tags.
- Bluetooth 5.0: Has four times the range, twice the speed, and eight times the broadcast message capacity compared to Bluetooth 4.2.
- Galileo support: Europe’s Global Satellite Navigation System (GNSS) will be used instead of the GPS.
- QZSS support: The Quasi-Zenith Satellite System- a satellite-based augmentation system will also be featured in the iPhone X.
For a comparative analysis of the iPhone X with other models, the following table will be immensely helpful:
|Apple iPhone X||Apple iPhone 8 Plus||Apple iPhone 8||Apple iPhone 7 Plus||Apple iPhone 7|
|Display size, resolution||5.8-inch, 2436 x 1125 pixels||5.5-inch, 1920 x 1080 pixels||4.7-inch, 1334 x 750 pixels||5.5-inch, 1920 x 1080 pixels||4.7-inch, 1334 x 750 pixels|
|Pixel density||458 ppi||401 ppi||326 ppi||401 ppi||326 ppi|
|Dimensions (Inches)||5.65×2.79×0.30 inches||6.24×3.07×0.30 inches||5.45×2.65×0.29 inches||6.23×3.07×0.29 inches||5.44×2.64×0.28 inches|
|Dimensions (Millimeters)||143.51×70.87×7.62 mm||158.50×77.98×7.62 mm||138.43×67.31×7.37 mm||158.24×77.98×7.37 mm||138.18×67.06×7.11 mm|
|Weight (Ounces, Grams)||6.14 oz (174 grams)||7.13 ounces (202 grams)||5.22 ounces (148 grams)||6.63 ounces (188 grams)||4.87 ounces (138 grams)|
|Mobile software||iOS 11||iOS 11||iOS 11||iOS||iOS|
|Camera||Dual 12-megapixel||Dual 12-megapixel||12-megapixel||Dual 12-megapixel||12-megapixel|
|Processor||A11 Bionic chip, M11 motion coprocessor||A11 Bionic chip, M11 motion coprocessor||A11 Bionic chip, M11 motion coprocessor||A10 Fusion chip, M10 motion coprocessor||A10 Fusion chip, M10 motion coprocessor|
|Storage||64GB, 256GB||64GB, 256GB||64GB, 256GB||32GB, 128GB, 256GB||32GB, 128GB, 256GB|
|Battery||21 hours of talk time on wireless; 12 hours of internet use; 13 hours of video playback on wireless; 60 hours of audio playback on wireless||21 hours of talk time on wireless; 13 hours of internet use; 14 hours of video playback on wireless; 60 hours of audio playback on wireless||14 hours of talk time on wireless; 12 hours of internet use; 13 hours of video playback on wireless; 40 hours of audio playback on wireless||21 hours of talk time on wireless; 13 hours of internet use; 14 hours of video playback on wireless; 60 hours of audio playback on wireless||14 hours of talk time on wireless; 12 hours of internet use; 13 hours of video playback on wireless; 40 hours of audio playback on wireless|
|Fingerprint sensor||None||Home button||Home button||Home button||Home button|
|Special features||Face ID; wireless charging; splash, water and dust resistance||Wireless charging; splash, water and dust resistance||Wireless charging; splash, water and dust resistance||Splash, water and dust resistance||Splash, water and dust resistance|
|Price off-contract (USD)||Starts at $999||Starts at $799||Starts at $699||Starts at $669||Starts at $549|
|Price (GBP)||Starts at £999||Starts at £799||Starts at £699||Starts at £699||Starts at £549|
|Price (AUD)||Starts at AU$1,579||Starts at AU$1,229||Starts at AU$1,079||Starts at AU$1,049||Starts at AU$849|
|Fingerprint sensor||None||Home button||Home button||Home button||Home button|