World of Warcraft is a lot. Being that the game has been around since 2004 and has eight major expansions so far with the number nine coming out soon. If you’ve never been exposed to WoW in the past or at least had experience with another MMORPG, then this WorldofGiftCards guide should help you a lot.
When is the best time to start playing World of Warcraft?
In theory, you can start any time, and this is true to an extent, but being plunged into the game mid-expansion can be challenging. In our experience, it’s a good idea to start playing when the expansion is released. Why? Here are a few reasons:
● The game’s population is at its peak
● Everyone is re-learning the game
● You get a sense of beginning something new
● You can level up parallel with other players
It’s a chance to get a clean slate and have a sense of beginning in a game that is so expansive and complex. Being plunged into it mid-expansion may lead to confusion, a sense of disconnect between the player and the game, and require initial research to get the most out of the game.
Things You Should Know Before You Start
WorldofGiftCards is here to help you find your footing in WoW, and there are a few things you should know before you start playing.
1. This Is a Subscription-Based Game
Unlike most games, WoW is a subscriptions based game, which means that you pay a monthly subscription to play it. On top of that, you need to pay for the previous expansion bundle (which isn’t all that expensive) and somewhere around $60 for the latest expansion.
The monthly subscription cost is $15, but this can go down if you subscribe for multiple months. You can also purchase gift cards to prolong subscriptions from WorldofGiftCards.
2. There Are Different Types of Servers
When you decide to get into your first WoW experience before you enter the game world, you’ll be asked to pick a “Realm”. These are servers that run a different variation of the game. There are four types of Realms in Warcraft:
● PvE (Player Vs Environment) Realms – If you are starting WoW to have fun with friends and fight through all the challenges set up by the developers, this the realm for you. You can still engage in combat with other players, but only if you decide to do so.
● PvP (Player Vs Player) Realms – The only difference between this one and the PvE realms is the fact that you are fair game for PvP if you are outside of your fractions zone. Remember, in WoW, a 10 level difference between characters means that the lower level character gets one-shot (instant killed) by the higher level character every time.
● Roleplaying Realms – If you want to stay away from the erratic atmosphere of the PvE and PvP servers and focus on immersion, this is the right server to pick. The idea is that you role-play your character to be the best fit for the world you are playing in. That means naming him/her appropriately and engaging in conversation appropriately.
● Roleplaying PVP Realms – These are the least populated servers, but if you want immersion at a high level, this is probably your best bet. After all, the Horde and the Alliance are in a perpetual state of war, so its only proper.
Think about this as it is not an inconsequential choice. The servers have a different feel to them, and you don’t want to reach max level before you decide you would have fit into another realm better.
3. You’ll Have to Use Outside Resources to Get Good
Not to say that WoW doesn’t do an excellent job of explaining itself to the player, but there’s so much in there that it’s impossible to ensure that every single player knows everything. There are a bunch of websites out there (including the WorldofGiftCards) with guides, maps, tips and other helpful material that can help you find your way around the game.
Some add-ons allow UI modifications and other helpful changes to improve your experience. Still, you shouldn’t modify anything until you understand the default UI.
WoW is a complex game. There are a lot of things to figure out, and it will take some time. Still, the best way to learn is to actually start playing. Furthermore, there are a lot of people in-game who are willing to help WoW novices find their way around the game and guide them through the more challenging parts of the game.
Being that the new expansion is coming out soon, this is the best time to try it out and see if you like it. We hope that this guide has helped you out.