Technology has confronted all facets of life alike. Medicine is not far behind. Complex operations that were earlier limited to human prowess can now be performed using robots. It is not a linear process and occurs in collaboration. Robotic cardiac surgeries are becoming increasingly popular for their precision and efficiency. They are conducted using tiny instruments and robot-controlled tools. Their significant benefit is that they are less invasive. They call this approach the Da Vinci surgery sometimes because the robot’s manufacturer often used this process.
Robotic surgeries are instrumental in ailing heart-problems like surgery, coronary bypass, heart defect repair, cardiac tissue ablation and tumour removal. The top hospital in Bangalore has also left no stone unturned in changing with trying times.
There are several perks, coupled with robotic cardiac surgeries. Its minimally invasive nature is more comfortable to heal and refrains from leaving behind horrible scars. It also makes the procedure seem less intimidating. Another perk attached to robotic cardiac surgeries is being less riskier than open-heart surgery. It evades the situation of cutting through the breastbone to open one’s chest. Hence, dwindling life risks. But just like any other procedure, robotic surgeries also employ anesthesia that can provoke unwanted symptoms. The top hospital in Bangalore is adept and offers fruitful council regarding this new shift in technology.
HOW IT WORKS
Robotic cardiac surgeries do not apply to all cases. They apply to a few conditions, which the doctor later sanctions. The caretakers use robots most famously for mitral valve repair. It makes the process more efficient and safe. The most key rationale behind using a robot is assistance with visualization.
The camera on the robot is more able than other devices and can magnify up to 10 times. Enhanced visibility and the ability to see things in remote areas gives robotic cardiac surgeries a leg up. The robot has to be manoeuvred by a human being and does not have individual autonomy. It translates the motion that is directed by the personnel.
The apparatus has two parts. One part is placed directly next to the patient, which has extensions in the form of tubes. These tubes penetrate the patient through tiny puncture holes. Every tube is delegated a different task, such as holding the camera or instrument. The surgeon manipulates operations from a console that resembles an elaborate video game. The visualization received is more precise in comparison with other devices.
At the onset of the procedure, the doctor provides a sedative to the patient. It helps the patient relax. This is followed by a dose of anesthesia and installing a breathing tube. The surgeon makes tiny incisions to the side of the chest, which align between the rib openings. The surgery then commences, depending on what the individual process is.
Robotic cardiac surgeries are impeccable for mitral surgeries because it eliminates the need to cut the sternum. Using a robot enables the caretaker to penetrate through rib incisions. The patients tend to bleed significantly less and heal more hastily. This procedure is revered and practised by many hospitals today.
STEPS TO CONSIDER BEFORE A ROBOTIC CARDIAC SURGERY
The steps taken by individuals are subjective and in alignment with their peculiar manifestations. However, these are some general precautions to consider:
1) Examine the consent form thoroughly and ask questions related to the procedure before-hand. Be complacent before making this decision.
2) Do not shy away from revealing your comprehensive medical history. Holding information back may have detrimental consequences. Also, be open to new tests. It is wiser to tick all boxes before finally giving in to the surgery.
3) If you are trying to get pregnant, inform the healthcare personnel. This might significantly alter the medication.
4) Be forthcoming regarding information such as allergies and sensitivity to contrast dyes, anaesthetic agent.
5) Communicate your prescribed medication and if you are consuming any herbal/ayurvedic medicines.
6) If an individual is a smoker, this information must be revealed before-hand. Also, smoking days before the procedure is advisable. Doing so will improve the chances of a more triumphant operation and lead to a speedier recovery.
7) Religiously follow the doctor’s orders and make sure to come to the surgery with an empty stomach.
To conclude, robotic cardiac surgeries have gained monumental significance in medicine, and doctors worldwide use them for their precision and efficiency. Providing the best healthcare for patients and speedy recovery is a bigger goal for every doctor. Slowly with one day at a time, we are inching towards that goal.