An air conditioning system is an essential requirement in nearly every home. Waking up to a dysfunctional AC can be depressing, especially during the unbearable summer temperatures. By keeping your air conditioners in good shape, you will dwell in comfort and keep your family happy and healthy.
Has your AC refused to turn on out of the blue? Below are some repair and maintenance tips you can quickly try out to resolve the problem.
· Lubricate moving parts – Temperatures can rise above the ordinary, especially between June and the end of August. At times the extreme heat dries up the moving parts in an air conditioner, causing it to jam. Usually, this happens when the appliance owner takes too long to grease the parts. You should lubricate the moving parts to reduce wear and tear.
· Check whether the external cover is loose – There is a cover that sits above your AC, and it could loosen when the winds blow fiercely. In case this cover collects too much dirt, it might affect the effectiveness of your AC unit. When your appliance breaks down, you can first check the condition of the outer cover to evaluate and rectify the looseness.
· Evaluate your mechanical belts for fractures – AC systems have belts that could break or loosen. This is a likely occurrence in overly hot regions like Philadelphia. The loosening might also occur as a result of the wearing and tearing of the unit. It is important to check it out whenever you experience a dysfunction.
· Take away accumulated ice from the appliance – There is a reason why every appliance owner should assess their AC after winter. Ice can form on an air conditioner if there are underlying airflow issues. If overlooked, the accumulation of ice can damage your system. Managing ice buildup is not difficult. You only need to turn off the system and allow the ice to melt.
· Clean the evaporator coil – An evaporator coil is an essential component where the refrigerant passes. This element takes up the heat as air blows over it. Locating it within the system is not an easy task because it is positioned differently in different machines.
However, with your user manual, it shouldn’t be a difficult task. Cleaning it once per year with some chemical spray will keep it in optimal condition.
· Keep the condenser coil clean from clogs – A condenser coil overwhelmed by clogs will likely cause the compressor to burn until it shuts down. Clogged condenser coils can influence a moment of uneven cooling, followed by no cooling at all. In case of similar experiences, you should cleanse your condenser coils, preferably with the assistance of a professional plumber.
Having a functional AC is the joy of every property owner. Since repairing the air conditioner can be expensive, it is better to safeguard it from damage. However, if the damage is inevitable, you can do the above things to identify the problem. Note that you should always switch off the power before embarking on any repairs, regardless of whether they are inconsequential or significant.
Air Conditioner Maintenance Hacks You Should Practice
The maintenance of your air conditioner is essential. It saves a lot of money that would otherwise go to unexpected repairs. Below is a list of maintenance practices you can do by yourself. If you ever feel uncomfortable handling any of these, consider delegating it to the right ac repair company or professionals.
· Evaluate your thermostat regularly – Assessing your thermostat is a simple task to do. This component is fundamental in maintaining your home temperatures at the right levels. If you are using the older model, you should consider upgrading to a smart thermostat, which you can set as you desire and save on utility bills.
· Clean the external parts of the appliance – It is not surprising to find debris, leaves, and glass chippings resting on the outer part of your air conditioner. If left to accumulate, the dirt particles will tamper with the system’s airflow and reduce its performance. To clean the parts, turn off the power and wash off the debris using a vacuum cleaner. Avoid using a power washer as it might destroy the fragile fins on the coil.
· Attend to the filters – Air conditioners need a lot of care during their high-use months. One of the most important things you can do is clean or replace the filters. Monthly cleansing will come in handy when the appliance is in high use, usually during summer and winter. Only high-quality filters can protect your loved ones from inhaling poor-quality air.
What To Leave To Professionals?
Most property owners will want to do nearly everything. These days, people have a lot of confidence in their little skills, thanks to the internet. Nonetheless, some problems require a professional touch for the system to perform excellently, including the following:
· Faulty electrical connections – Loose connections on any part of your AC will affect its functionality. Whenever there is an electrical hitch, it is advisable to reach out to the professionals before engaging your toolbox. The experts will fix the problem and also gauge the compatibility of the voltage and the motors.
· Assessing the AC unit controls – New air conditioning appliances can be complicated and hard to understand. By engaging an expert, you will get an opportunity to ask them questions regarding the new unit and how you should handle it. Most importantly, the professionals will gauge whether the appliance runs at optimum levels or not.
· AC installation – It is not advisable for a system owner to self-install an air conditioner, mainly because of compatibility issues. Professionals will ensure that the installation is flawless, leaving no room for errors. They offer warranties on their services after the installation of the system.
Rarely will any electrical appliance act up from nowhere. In most cases, it is an accumulation of issues that may not have been accorded attention. As a smart homeowner, the first thing you should consider is choosing a highly efficient appliance that gives you peace of mind while keeping the utility bills low. Managing such a unit with an expert will likely be smooth and forthcoming.