There are so many things you want to accomplish in your lifetime, from bigger undertakings like starting your own business or losing weight to smaller objectives such as implementing a morning routine or keeping your house clean.
Despite your best intentions, however, getting and staying motivated to do them can feel like a lost cause.
You start out on fire and ready to tackle your goal from all angles, but before you know it you’ve lost interest, burned out, or given up for one reason or another. Even seemingly simple things like saving money or saying no to the third, fourth, or fifth glass of wine can feel impossible.
So, what gives? How do you set yourself up for success even when you don’t feel like it or things get hard?
What is Willpower?
A lot of people believe their lives would be better if only they had more time, better self-control, or fewer distractions.
While those things would certainly help in many situations, the truth is it’s not quite that simple.
Willpower, also commonly referred to as self-discipline, impacts nearly every aspect of your life. It is believed to be a limited resource by most experts and can be defined in a few ways.
Willpower is the ability to:
- Resist short-term temptations and delay gratification
- Restrain or control yourself and your behaviors
- Override unwanted thoughts, feelings, or impulses
12 of the Best Books on Willpower and Self-discipline
If you’re ready to finally beat procrastination, live up to your potential, get things done, and feel great about your life and yourself, check out these top books on willpower and self-discipline.
You can also check out resources from Better Help at https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/willpower/.
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds, By David Goggins
- The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success, by Darren Hardy
- The 5 Second Rule: Transform your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage – Mel Robbins
- Thinking Fast and Slow, By Daniel Kahneman
- The Power of Habit, Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, By Charles Duhigg
- The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, And What You Can Do to Get More of It, By Kelly McGonigal
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in A Distracted World, By Cal Newport
- Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength, By Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney
- Mastery, By Robert Greene
- Eat That Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time, By Brian Tracy
- The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results, By Gary Keller
Your struggle with willpower and self-control doesn’t have to limit you or hold you back anymore. These skills are like muscles that can be learned and strengthened with time and effort. Learn as much as you can about willpower, and arm yourself with the tools you need to live the life you want to live and be the person you want to be.
Marie Miguel has been a writing and research expert for nearly a decade, covering a variety of health- related topics. Currently, she is contributing to the expansion and growth of a free online mental health resource with BetterHelp.com. With an interest and dedication to addressing stigmas associated with mental health, she continues to specifically target subjects related to anxiety and depression.