I don’t think it’s even a question of whether we all are a bit ADHD as a result of the internet. It is only a matter of degrees at this point. If you are online, you are distracted and are likely a multitasker that appears busy while truly only spinning your wheels. Paying attention to the person or events in front of you is hard to do when there is an exciting universe available through the lens of a laptop or smartphone. It is a shame, but it is a fact of everyday life in 2015.
There are people who are not a victim of the internet creating a deficit of attention. Those people are few and far between however. Think you are one of the few unsullied by the web when it comes to your ability to focus on one thing at a time? Let’s have a look with ten signs that you are in fact ADHD from too much internet.
- If you are only consuming online content and not creating anything or doing any physical activity, it is very likely you are just rambling from one app to the next and one website to another. You are letting the internet wash over you as you just let life pass you by. Get interested in something….not everything.
- You can’t enjoy any movie or TV show because you get bored with it too easily. So there is no film worth your attention? You are the common denominator. Put down the second screen and enjoy some art coming through the pixels on your TV.
- You download apps that you only open once or twice, filling up your iPhone with nonsense.
- Losing basic items like keys, phone, and wallet on a weekly basis lets you know how scrambled your mind has become.
- Can’t remember the last conversation you had on a phone call? Texting 83 different people is probably not as good as an hour long conversation with one close friend.
- Ten tabs open at the same time? Come on! Who can keep up with all that info in one browsing session?
- You used to have a tidy home and car, but now it’s starting to resemble a “Hoarders” episode. It takes some focus to settle in for a good hour or two of de-cluttering.
- Eating is a great pleasure of life. It’s too bad that so many people eat at a restaurant with one hand tied to a smartphone while barely looking at their dining mates.
- You find yourself very busy with work or your small business, but never seem to get things done in a timely manner. It’s because you are trying to do too much at once. One thing at a time is much easier to tackle and do with mastery.
- You are too busy checking your email, Facebook, uploading Instagram pics, or reading about a Kardashian to know the details of your kids’ day that they have been telling you about for five minutes. You are giving your attention to people and events that have very little bearing on your life. Your children won’t stay young forever and eventually will not want to share their life experiences with you if you don’t make time for them.