So you got your new Nexus 7 with Android 4.3 and now looking for a way to unlock, install custom recovery and root nexus 7 (2013), then you guys will definitely love to read this article.
Few days back Google announced that they had refined the Nexus 7 with amazing features and OS version. Now everyone is excited to know everything about this new device. And, like always XDA has root all the settings, this time Recognized Contributor philos64 who posted this trick few days ago. And in this article I intend to share with you that guide in layman language.
Disclaimer:”If you are unlocking, installing custom recovery and rooting Nexus 7 using this guide then you are responsible for anything you do to your device. As below guide is new Nexus 7 RAZOR (2013), don’t try to attempt this on other Nexus devices. Applying this on other variants can brick your device. You can read about Rooting“
Before your start anything, let me clear that this guide is for Windows Platform
1. One and most important thing is back up all your data on your Nexus 7 including internal memory, because after the process is completed you will left with nothing in your device.
3. You also need to download and install Android SDK
You can download The ADB and Fastboot Tools: platform-tools. Zip – md5: 15e771613370afe3c70e0be1454d2ef1 whose size is around 346.8KB
4. Now you need to put these 3 files in your folder where it’s installed in your system for example; disk C: root and unzipped the files on the folder and you will get 11 files which are mentioned below:
5. Now connect your tablet to your computer by Enabling USB Debugging Mode and use the Android SDK with it. Follow below steps to enable it:
- First of all Press Menu =>> Settings =>> Applications.
- Now from here navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.
- If you didn’t find the development option, then you need to open setting and scroll down to “about phone”. And again scroll till you find until you see the Build Number entry.
- Now here you need to click on the build number 7 times. Once you make 4 taps you will get friendly developers message and when you done with 7 tap you will get a congratulatory message saying thanks for unlocking Developer Option. You;re developer now.
6. Your device must have 70% battery power to avoid unexpected shutdowns.
7. Last and not the least this tutorial is compatible with the New Nexus 7 FLO with Android 4.3
Finally let us have look the full guide to unlock, install custom recovery and root nexus 7 (2013). I have divided this guide into three parts to make the process simpler and easier.
Process to unlock bootloader of your Nexus 7 FLO
1. The first thing you need to do is open Command Prompt Window, here you need to type following command to reboot the device into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
2. Now connect your Nexus 7 to a computer using USB cable.
3. Now type the following command to launch the unlock process:
fastboot oem unlock
4. Now you will prompted with a message to confirm, go through it. You can also use the Volume buttons to highlight yes and select it using the Power button.
5. Doing this, your tablet will go back to bootloader screen. And now press the Power button to select Start to reboot into the unlock device.
Process to install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 7 FLO
1. In this process first thing you need to do is download the latest TWRP recovery image file Download link- TWRP v2.6.o.o
2. Now open that folder where you have downloaded the recovery image file and rename your recovery “recovery-twrp“. And, again open the Command Prompt window which was open previously.
3. In the Command Prompt window type the following command to flash the recovery image file
fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp. img
4. By doing the above steps recovery will be flashed you will be able to observe the progress in the CMD window:
Note: You can boot the Nexus tablet into Recovery by pressing the Volume keys (up/down) until Recovery Mode is displayed. Use the Power button to select it and the device will reboot into the TWRP recovery Mode.
Process to root your Nexus 7 FLO
1. To root your device, download the SuperSU root package for Nexus 7 Download link: Update- SuperSU-v1.51.zip
2. After that connect your tablet to your PC using USB cable.
3. Now copy the downloaded file with name “UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip” file and paste to the root storage of your Nexus 7.
4. Now open New Command Prompt Window and type following command:
adb reboot recovery
5. The above step will now reboot into TWRP recovery mode itself.
6. Now search for the file with name “UPDATE-SuperSU-v1. 51. Zip” and select it and slide the button to flash it.
7. Once the flashing process is completed, go back to the “system” and slide back to “reboot ” to reboot your device.
Above three processes are completed and Nexus 7 FLO is running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean should have been rooted with latest TWRP recovery installed and bootloader unlocked. If you’re the one Who Semi-Bricked your Nexus 7 might love to read this thread created by jporter396
You can also check video which is created by, XDA Developer TV Producer Kevin shows you how to root your New Nexus 7 (2013).
Some of the useful files shared by the developer:
- Flo Stock Recovery – Download link– md5: ce864d17bc62cab84ee50576c97d926a – size: 9 MB
- Google USB Drivers – md5: 1389bb2de0c9cacce27c76f1c71592ef – size: 8 MB
- OEM USB Drivers
- USB Drivers ro6 for Windows 7 & 8
So give try to above guide and share your opinion with us. Also if you have any query and question related to above guide visit Original Thread
Article Image Credit: Android Authority
Feature Image Credit: XDA- Developers